Week 11: Demands #47-48: Be Salt and LightPosted by Paul Apple on Nov 23, 2008 in Commands of Christ | Comments Off on Week 11: Demands #47-48: Be Salt and Light
Demand #47-48: Be Salt and Light
Memory Verse: "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16
SALT AND LIGHT — IMPACTING THE WORLD AROUND US… OR GOOD FOR NOTHING?
On January 28, 1986 America was shocked by the destruction of the space shuttle Challenger, and the death of its seven crew members. One of those who died that day was a female schoolteacher — privileged to be selected as the first civilian in NASA history to "ride the rocket" into the last frontier. It was to be the Challenger’s 10th mission — we had come to take for granted the safety of these missions.
The temperature that day at ground level at Pad 39B was 36 degrees F, that was 15 degrees cooler than any other previous launch by NASA. The boosters started rumbling according to play. But 0.68 seconds after ignition black smoke started coming from the bottom right booster. Apparently the burning of one of the O-rings in the booster caused the smoke. O-rings are rubber "rings" that are used to make airtight seals. If one of the O-rings breaks air can get in and gas can get out — a very combustible combination — and one that proved tragic in this instance. A terrible explosion just seconds after liftoff and the impact was not only felt but actually seen around the world on the TV broadcast.
What people had trouble coming to grips with was how could such a small and seemingly insignificant component — a tiny O-ring — cause such a huge catastrophe?
If you are at all like me, you wrestle at times with feelings of being insignificant It’s a huge world out there and we often ask: What can little old me accomplish for the Lord? What’s my mission? Why doesn’t Christ just come back and kickoff the big celebration? What am I doing here?
AS THOSE INDWELT BY GOD, WE SHOULD HAVE A POWERFUL INFLUENCE ON THE WORLD
– TO COUNTERACT DECAY BY STANDING FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS… AND
– TO SHINE THE TORCH OF TRUTH AND LIFE TO THE DARKNESS AROUND US OUT OF A MOTIVATION TO BRING GLORY TO GOD
I. (:13) SALT — THE INDWELLING HOLY SPIRIT WORKS THRU BELIEVERS TO COUNTERACT THE DECAY AND ROTTENNESS IN THE WORLD AS WE TAKE A STAND FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS
- SIGNIFICANCE OF THIS METAPHOR OF SALT
- UNDERLYING ASSUMPTION:
- Look at the Fall
- Look at the Days of Noah — Gen 6: 5, 11-12
- Look at the Days of Sodom and Gomorrah — Gen. 18
- Look at the nation of Israel
- Look at Romans 1 — the account of progressive wickedness
- Look at the description of the Last Days in 2 Pet. 2
- Look at the description of the Tribulation Period in the Book of Rev
- COMING TO GRIPS WITH OUR MISSION AS BELIEVERS – THOSE INDWELT BY THE HOLY SPIRIT — TO BE THE SALT OF THE EARTH
- PATHWAY TO INEFFECTIVENESS = LOSING OUR DISTINCTIVENESS
II. (:14-15) LIGHT — THE INDWELLING PERSON OF JESUS CHRIST WORKS THRU BELIEVERS TO PROVIDE A BEACON OF LIGHT IN A CONTEXT OF DARKNESS IN THE WORLD (AS WE SHINE THE TORCH OF TRUTH AND LIFE TO A WORLD LOST IN DARKNESS)
- SIGNIFICANCE OF THIS METAPHOR OF LIGHT
- UNDERLYING ASSUMPTION: Apart from believers, the world would be completely DARK. No light, No Life
- COMING TO GRIPS WITH OUR MISSION AS BELIEVERS = THOSE INDWELT BY JESUS CHRIST — TO BE THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD
- PATHWAY TO INEFFECTIVENESS = HIDING OUR LIGHT
(:16) CONCLUSION: OUR MOTIVATION = THAT OTHERS MAY GLORIFY GOD