Week 5: Demand #14 – Do Not Be AnxiousPosted by Paul Apple on Oct 5, 2008 in Commands of Christ | Comments Off on Week 5: Demand #14 – Do Not Be Anxious
Demand #14: Do Not Be Anxious About the Necessities of Daily Life – Matthew 6:25-34
Memory Verse: "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." Matthew 6:33
Anxiety and Worry and Fear about the necessities of life will choke out spiritual fruitfulness.
Look at TV commercials designed to prey on our fears and anxieties:
- Are you fearful about being able to pay for energy needs in the future
- How are you going to have enough for retirement – How is your 401K doing?
Look at the current economic crisis – tremendous focus on whether we can keep our head above water financially. Are we going to lose our home, our job?
Phil. 4:6-7 "Be careful for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace which passes understanding shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
I. Exposition of Primary Text – Matthew 6:25-34
DEVOTION TO GOD’S KINGDOM AND CONFIDENCE IN HIS PROVIDENTIAL PROVISION PROTECTS AGAINST ANXIETY OVER THE NECESSITIES OF THIS LIFE
(:25a) The Command to Abstain from Anxiety Regarding Life’s Necessities
- Context of the Command
- Challenge of the Command
- Clarification of the Command – Talking About the Necessities of Life
(:25b-32) Five Encouraging Arguments to Help Ward Off Anxiety
- (:25b) Argument from the Greater to the Lesser: Food and Clothing are not Worthy of Our Worry — If you trust God with your very life, you can trust Him with all that sustains life or supports life
- (:26) Argument from the Lesser to the Greater: Regarding Food – We are Valuable to God — If God can take care of the birds, He will certainly take care of His own children
- (:27) Anxiety Accomplishes Nothing – it is pointless, useless, counter-productive
- (:28-30) Argument from the Lesser to the Greater: Regarding Clothing – God’s Providential Provision for us is not just Temporal but Eternal
- Repeating the Command – "Do not be anxious"
- Reviewing the Specific areas of the Necessities of Life
- Recognizing the Major Difference in Perspective and Pursuit between Believers and Unbelievers – living in two different kingdoms; two different realms
- Resting in the All Sufficient Care of our Heavenly Father
- (:31-32) Summary Argument – Children of the Heavenly King Should Not Worry Like Children of This World
(:33) Priority of Devotion to God’s Kingdom and Corresponding Providential Provision
- Priority of Devotion to God’s Kingdom
- Corresponding Providential Provision
(:34) Danger of Living in the Future = a Life of Anxiety . . . Instead of Living in the Now = a Life of Faith — Deal with Very Real Present Challenges Rather Than Hypothetical Future Security
- Don’t Worry About the Future
- Focus Your Energy Productively on Today’s Challenges
II. What To Do About Worry – Jay E. Adams – Presbyterian and Reformed Publ Co., 1974
- The Effects of Worry
- What Worry Is
- What to do About Worry
- Three Steps to Defeating Worry (Phil. 4:4-9)
- Pray with thanksgiving
- Find God’s solutions to problems
- Work on the problem God’s way